"Nest of Dragons" builds a Easy Riser

Friday, November 03, 2006

Why buying a Easy Riser?

Who did dream as a kid to fly? Who wanted to share the air with those birds? I guess many of us did. Many still think it is not possible. They think it is too expensive or think it is too demanding. Well, when I was a kid it was not. Magazines were filled with rather very basic airplanes that flew not so fast, but ... they flew good. They didn't have those fancy options like the bigger airplanes, but ... that made them very easy to use. "Better 1 button you know how to use than 100 which you don't know"

Sadly ... things changed and the small airplanes (ultralights) became more and more advanced. They became speedy, they got lots of options, they became ... EXPENSIVE! Many will see that the small airplanes are no longer low-budget.

It is sad to see that people who just want to leave the ground and buzz around the local church tower (just kidding!) only can buy those advanced airplanes. They would be super happy to have such a old-timer. But ... they are no longer available.



Sorry, I wrote a mistake. They WERE no longer available. I recently found out that the airplane from which it all started is back into production. The EASY RISER of Mr. Larry Mauro is back! Really! Go see www.pioneerflyer.com . Yes, it is that glider which you know from the movie "Fly Away Home".

Did you know that it was the first motorized ultralight? Mr. John Moody was the first to place a engine on this bi-plane flying wing hangglider. From that moment on he was able to get to heights from which he was able to soar. This idea evolves a small airplane with a landinggear. Now the ultralights were really born! And people were using this Easy Riser to learn how to fly.

First from a small hill, then higher with the help of a small engine (or higher hill) and later they too placed a landinggear and a bit larger engine and had their own ultralight.

It was a easy to make homebuilt, not expensive at all, easy to store because it could be dismounted and folded together and ... it was not using a lot of fuel with that small engine. That sounded good at the old days. Euh ... is it different now? I guess not. I am sure that many are still looking for a airplane that fits such a description. Why search further? It is still there!

I am a true believer in BULM (Basic UltraLight Motorized). It is a word I invented. In my website I made a directory off the BULMs I know. Euh ... sadly ... it is a short list. Not much choice! What makes this Easy Riser so special to me? Well, it is a slow flyer which gives it a slow landingspeed and that comes in handy as a beginner pilot. It can easily be stored in a garagebox. I will even try to store it when the car is INSIDE my garage. Just hang it dismounted on the ceiling. Its flying wing design gives a good-stall-behavior. And ... its use is not that costy due to the small engine it needs. All in all ... sounds perfect.

I will dedicate this blogsite to the progress of the building and flying of this airplane so others can better understand the Easy Riser and be able to better see its advantages when compared to more modern airplanes.


4 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Blogger jofujofu said...

HI, Congratulations!
Did you get respons from the "pioneerflyer" Website. I am looking forward to build this glider - First of all - do they sell plans?
ciao
JOsef

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hey hi , and congrats..

Iam sharan aged 16 from India ..Im very passionate about flying and i want to make my own ultralight ..then i heard of this easy riser from my father...can u please tell me how much it cost me totally when they parcel me to india..please respond for me soon...looking for an answer ...if u dont mind can u send me the blue print of this ultralight to my mail id.. bye

thanks and regards,
sharan chakradhar,
09019323499 , 09391938042
bangalore, India .

mail id : sharan.ichakri@gmail.com

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Dan'l said...

My dad is John Moody... I am considering recovering and restoring the original "Icarus" that he began with. Later, the improved Icarus was called the Easy Riser.
So, please keep me in the loop on your build progress. I love these planes... I grew up with them.
Regards, Daniel Moody- Tampa, FL missionfire@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home